Telling stories about landscapes – Insights from media and science
Join our first GLF online Media workshop, pitch stories and win reporting prizes and reporting grants
Are you a journalist or a media specialist interested in sustainable development and the role that landscapes play in environmental and human wellbeing? There are many, many stories out there waiting to be told and we have all the tools to help you. Please join us at our upcoming GLF Media Workshop.
- Join our digital summit to discuss environmental and human stories related to landscapes and explore some of the best tools and techniques you can use for reporting in a way that speaks to both your editor and to a global audience. Experts from media and science will host an online conversation to share their experiences and tips on how to bring your reporting to the next level; get the scoop on where and how you can dig out overlooked, but critical issues around landscapes. Pick our experts’ brains with your questions and use this first-time GLF session for the media to enrich your work.
- Register for and attend the GLF Bonn digital edition – watch the livestream, check the agenda, request interviews and more.
- Write or produce stories from the GLF Bonn digital edition and win prizes. Prizes will be awarded for the following categories:
- outstanding feature story
- radio report/podcast
- photo essay
- Write your stories based on the discussions at GLF Bonn 2018 and publish them on your respective media platforms.
Send us the link to your story by Thursday, 6 December at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Should you require expert sources or have requests for online interviews with participants at the GLF Bonn, do get in touch with us at email@example.com.
A specialist panel (to be announced) will judge the entries. The top entrant in each category will win a prize of $500.
- Have in mind a local story that’s relevant for the GLF? Pitch it to us!
Many times great local stories remain uncovered as reporting can face financial difficulties. We want to see more of those stories come to light, so we are starting by offering three reporting grants of USD 1,000 each for the best pitches.Your pitch should contain:
- proposed story title
- a 300-400 word outline of your story idea and reporting approach
- how your story is connected to the themes and issues discussed at GLF Bonn 2018
- a provisional list of sources: who are you planning to interview, etc
- article budget: list and detail the story-associated costs
Terms and conditions:
- By submitting a nomination, the media assets provided can be used by the GLF in its communication products and platforms.
- By submitting media materials, those submitting agree to a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial share-alike license (BY-NC-SA). Competition organizers will use these materials for relevant GLF products. Those submitting media are not permitted to use these materials for commercial purposes.
- Media professionals are required to attach an authorization signed by a representative of the media company employing them. This authorization should state that the organizers of the contest have permission to publish the author’s work.
Submit your story pitch by Wednesday, 13 December here.