Twenty-fifth meeting of the Subsidiary Body on Scientific, Technical and Technological Advice (SBSTTA 25) and the resumed second part of the Fifteenth meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity (COP-15)
Article 25 of the Convention on Biological Diversity establishes an open-ended intergovernmental scientific advisory body known as the Subsidiary Body on Scientific, Technical and Technological Advice (SBSTTA) to provide the Conference of the Parties (COP) and, as appropriate, its other subsidiary bodies, with timely advice relating to the implementation of the Convention. As a subsidiary body of the COP, SBSTTA is to report regularly to the COP on all aspects of its work. Multidisciplinary and open to participation by all Parties, SBSTTA comprises government representatives competent in the relevant field of expertise. Its functions include: providing assessments of the status of biological diversity; providing assessments of the types of measures taken in accordance with the provisions of the Convention; and responding to questions that the COP may put to the body. SBSTTA has met 24 times to date and produced a total of 250 recommendations to the Conference of the Parties.
SBSTTA-25 will consider the following agenda items:
- Facilitating the implementation of the Kunming-Montreal Global Biodiversity Framework
- Findings from the assessments by the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and their implications for the work undertaken under the Convention
- Invasive alien species
- Sustainable wildlife management
- Biodiversity and climate change
These resumed meetings include the:
- second part of the Fifteenth meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity;
- second part of the tenth meeting of the Conference of the Parties serving as the meeting of the Parties to the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety; and
- second part of the fourth meeting of the Conference of the Parties serving as the meeting of the Parties to the Nagoya Protocol on Access to Genetic Resources and the Fair and Equitable Sharing of Benefits Arising from their Utilization.
The resumed meetings will take place on 19-20 October 2023 in Nairobi, Kenya, immediately after SBSTTA 25. The Secretariat is carrying out the necessary preparations; the provisional agenda and its annotations for the resumed Meetings will be made available shortly. See Notification 2023-097 for more information.
The Secretariat will conduct briefing sessions regarding the organization of the forthcoming resumed Meetings prior to the dates of the resumed Meetings. A one-hour virtual briefing session will be held on Tuesday, 26 September 2023 at 8:00a.m. EDT. To participate in this session, please register through this link: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_-1pK79SmSoys-mNDBqIf4Q#/registration.