Traveling to Accra
Participants are responsible for their own travel bookings to Ghana.
Accra is served by Kotoka International Airport (KIA), which has both civil and military uses. Located 6 miles (9.7 km) from downtown Accra, KIA is the sole international airport in Ghana.
The Global Landscapes Forum Accra 2019 will be held from 29 to 30 October 2019 at the:
Accra International Conference Centre (AICC) Castle Road
Tel. +233 54 563 4977
FIND OUT MORE
- All visitors preparing to enter the Republic of Ghana are responsible for checking visa requirements and must have a valid passport (at least for six months after the date of departure).
- It is recommended that visa applications from participants are submitted at least one month before the initiation of travel.
- Applicants from the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) are exempted from acquiring a visa. However other countries in Africa are also exempted from acquiring a visa. For the full list, kindly visit the following website: www.ghanaimmigration.org.
- For support with your visa upon arrival (fee applicable USD 250), please submit a copy of your national passport (including your full name, your passport number and nationality), your itinerary and GLF Accra 2019 Registration digital ticket to:
William E-mail: email@example.com cc: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact number: +233 54 618 0502
- Documentation of yellow fever vaccination is required in Ghana. All travelers will be required to show an International Certificate of vaccination for yellow fever at the point of entry.
Accra has an extensive taxi network and numerous taxi ranks, but most taxis lack a meter system, so price negotiation is required between the passenger and driver. Metered taxis do operate in the city but tend to be more expensive. Taxis in Ghana are painted in two different colors: the four bumpers are yellow/orange, and the rest of the car is in the color of the operator’s choice.
Tro tros and buses:
By far the most common form of transport in Accra are tro tros (motor vehicles re-purposed for passenger transport). Buses are typically mini buses or vans. Tro tros are typically decorated with flags and stickers of various countries or (local and international) soccer teams, and with witty sayings, wisecracks, local proverbs (in English or local languages) or Bible verses printed on the bus’s rear. Tro tros stop at any bus stop or gathering of people and can also be found at truck and taxi stations, such as the Neoplan station.
Participants will be responsible for making their own hotel bookings, contacting their hotel of choice directly.
Participants are also responsible for the payment of their reservations and/or for the settlement of cancellation/no show fees, as applicable, according to the hotel’s policies.
A comprehensive list of hotels* (with indicative rates) is included below:
|HOTELS||CONTACT||Distance from/to the venue||Indicative price in USD|
|Movenpick Ambassador Hotel
Fax: +233 302611001
|Accra City Hotel
|Alisa Hotels & Conferencing
Dr Isert Street, North Ridge
|+233 302214233/302214244||2.5 Km||120|
|Golden Tulip Hotel
Fax: +233 302775361
|Tang Palace Hotel
Borstal Avenue Lane
|+233 302788889/88/86||5.9 Km||250|
|Best Western Premier Accra Airport Hotel
17 Quartey Papafio Avenue
|+233 302216570/3022957300||6.6 Km||160|
|Labadi Beach Hotel
Fax: +233 302772501
|Fiesta Royale Hotel
39 Norley Road
|AH Hotel and Conferences
84/86 1st boundary Road (Free transport provided for large groups)
|+233 302508199 /302508186 / 302508344
- With respect to health requirements and precautions to be taken by participants traveling to Ghana, all participants are recommended to consult and seek medical advice from their physicians/doctors and take medical precautions as advised.
- The following vaccines are recommended when traveling to Ghana: typhoid, hepatitis A, hepatitis B, cholera, yellow fever, rabies, meningitis and influenza.
- Participants are required to contact either the Ghana diplomatic mission in their countries or to consult a doctor before departing to ensure having gotten the proper vaccinations and immunizations.
- You are additionally strongly advised to obtain international travel and medical insurance to cover the cost of any medical treatment and repatriation during the period of your travel.
- Drink or use only boiled or bottled water and well-cooked food.
GENERAL INFORMATION DURING YOUR STAY IN ACCRA
Currency & accepted forms of payment
The Ghana Cedi is the most used currency in Accra. However, foreign currencies are accepted in certain places. The Dollar (US & Canadian), the Euro, the Pound and some African currencies are also acceptable in certain places.
ATMs are common in large towns and will accept most cards. Credit cards are accepted at many hotels, guesthouses and some shops, but MasterCard is not widely accepted.
Travelers’ cheques can be exchanged in large hotels, banks and bureaux de change.
Ghana is a multilingual country in which about eighty languages are spoken. Of these, English is the official language and lingua franca.
The majority of Ghana is a tropical savanna climate, with a small part of the southwest being a monsoon climate.
Average temperatures in Accra vary little. Considering humidity, temperatures feel hot all year with a very low chance of rain throughout the year. March and April are the hottest months of the year. The warmest time of year is generally mid-March where highs are regularly around 91.1°F (32.8°C) with temperatures rarely dropping below 79°F (26.1°C) at night.
SIM Cards being used in Ghana are: MTN, Vodafone and Tigo
These can be bought at the airport, as needed.
Telephone Country Code: +233
In Ghana the power plugs and sockets are of type D and G. The standard voltage is 230 V and the standard frequency is 50 Hz.
Ghana is GMT/UTC + 0 h Standard Time
INTERESTING PLACES TO VISIT IN GHANA
- The National Theatre in Accra, home of the National Symphony Orchestra Ghana
- The National Museum
- The National Theatre
- The Jamestown area
- Oxford Street
- Makola Market
- Kwame Nkrumah Memorial Park
- W.E.B Du Bois Memorial Center
- The Jubilee House (the office of the Government of Ghana and the President of Ghana)
- The Parliament House of Ghana
- The Ghana-India Kofi Annan Centre of Excellence in ICT
- The Black Star Square
- The Accra Sports Stadium
- The Accra Centre for National Culture
- Artists Alliance Gallery
- The Cathedral of the Holy Spirit
Accra has an Atlantic beachfront and the most popular of the city’s beaches is Labadi Beach, along with Kokrobite Beach, which is located 25 kilometers (16 miles) west of Accra. The beachfront area also houses the Academy of African Music and Arts.
CONTACTS IN CASE OF EMERGENCY
- Police Hotline : 091
- Ambulance : 193
- Fire Service : 192/999
We look forward to welcoming you to the Republic of Ghana!
In the months preceding the GLF, participating organizations and individuals will connect, share, learn and act around five themes:
View the action-packed calendar of GLF online and in-person gatherings, as well as those of our partners.
Connect, share, learn, act. Search jobs, join community groups, post an event, or share an article with our community.